Software Engineer, Front End
February 16, 2017
(Anywhere in North America)
Platform Software Engineer (Front End)
About O'Reilly Media
O’Reilly’s mission is “changing the world by sharing the knowledge of innovators.” For over 30 years, we’ve been helping people learn new skills, track significant new technologies, and build careers in technology and business. This extends to our employees: we have a long and proud history of encouraging and enabling the people who work here to take advantage of O’Reilly’s resources and network to keep learning, take on new challenges, and build careers.
About Your team: Platform Engineering supports O’Reilly Media’s premier training service, which is used by technologists, managers, and designers around the world to hone their skills and improve their craft. We are made of many small teams that are broadly distributed across the US, featuring tightly collaborative groups of developers, designers, and product managers constantly encouraging each other to deliver work that instills pride and fulfillment. The women and men of our platform team have taken many traditional and non-traditional paths to the developer profession, and we are bound together by a mutual love for what we can do to transform the professional lives of others.
Our team is located in the United States. We happily support a variety of employees who connect remotely from the Pacific Northwest, New England, and the Midwest, as well as those who come into our offices in Boston or Sebastopol, CA but we cannot offer fulltime employment to others who live and operate outside of the United States.
About the Job:
- Work with designers, product managers, back end developers, and QA to implement UI experiences that will engage and delight our users.
- Collaborate with customer service and other business teams in triaging and resolving interface bugs.
- Provide code review for peer developers in a helpful, respectful, and insightful manner
- Work closely with other front-end developers to ensure a consistent and uniform approach based on our shared design principles.
- Minimum of 3 years real-world experience of demonstrable code shipment
- Demonstrable experience with test driven development
- Opinionated, pragmatic, and open-minded when it comes to code conventions
- Familiarity with concepts from the various JS frameworks such as Spine, Knockout, Ember, Angular, etc. as well as CSS preprocessors (specifically Sass).
- Experience with git (or version control system concepts)
- Proven real-world experience with mobile web development
- Experience with testing, particularly JS unit tests and Selenium inside a large JS code-base
- Knowledge of Django and Python is important
- 3 years of experience working in a software development team, supporting a database-driven commercial or community web application with an active user base
- Fluency with HTML5, CSS3, and CSS Preprocessors (Sass, Compass, Bourbon, Susy)
Apply: Please send us your cover letter and resume.
Want to apply to this job? Please register first. »