Headquarters: Las Vegas, NV
Hi there. We're Action Verb and we build Infrastructure-as-a-Service products. We've been around for almost 10 years, operate profitably, and will probably make the Inc 5000 list this year.
We offer two main products: BrickFTP, a hosted file sharing service for business, and Vae Platform, a unique web hosting platform with an integrated CMS system. Our IaaS services have over 1,800 paying business customers.
We're small, happy, and we avoid the Silicon Valley startup culture that encourages growth over sustainability. We treat each full time team member like family. We have 9 full time staff now (plus 3 part time) and we're looking to add a full time front end engineer to our team.
As a company, we are one of the early adopters of Holacracy, a new style of running an organization in a self-organizing manner that draws inspiration from agile software development and lean manufacturing processes.
Rather than hiring people for exactly one job description, we instead look to find well rounded team members with skills in software engineering, design, marketing, sales, and our other needs who are interested in filling multiple roles within the organization.
As a self-organizing team, our people have multiple roles and our role descriptions are regularly updated via small iterations. The roles you take on are intended to change over time as your interests change and our needs change.
“Most startups believe in iteration of their products. Now they need to apply the same thinking to their organizations.”
— Adam Pisoni, Yammer co-founder & CTO
At Action Verb, you don't have a boss. Your work is executed autonomously, without micromanagement.
But Holacracy is not unstructured: you'll have a clear understanding of your current roles and responsibilities, as well as a set of rules and processes for changing those roles and responsibilities in real time.
Our team members work from home and choose their own hours, allowing them to make time for family, recreation, vacations, or anything that is important to them.
Our team members also work hard, are constantly learning, and accomplish a ton for the company in the time that they are working. That's why we consistently pay above-market rates for talent and are generous with raises and bonuses.
We believe that building great products requires great infrastructure. We have Continuous Integration, a full staging environment, and almost 100% test coverage. We built our own application deployment system. We self-manage our server stack on Amazon EC2 and custom hardware.
We run Linux (Ubuntu) on our servers, but we support Linux and MacOS as development environments.
We believe that the best engineers tend to be polyglots with lots of experience. We’re looking for someone who can bring the following things to the table:
- Experience building and delivering React.js applications that have seen actual production usage.
- Familiarity with building classic Ruby on Rails UIs (server-side rendered views) is a strong plus.
- A sense of good UX principles (though you will not necessarily be expected to design. We have an amazing designer on staff.)
- Firm understanding of how to write secure frontend code and an awareness of common web application security vulnerabilities.
- Testing and the ability to write unit tests/specs (we use React testing frameworks)
- Ability to prioritize and make decisions without needing to be micromanaged
- History developing actual SaaS applications that have seen production usage with real customers.
- Truly interested in giving our customers a great experience and able to communicate directly with customers and prospects
We believe that open-source only works if companies give back. If you work on any open-source projects during the course of your work at Action Verb, you are encouraged to submit your improvements as a pull request back to the upstream project. And if you build something from scratch while working here that’s generic and not related to our core products, we want you to release that on GitHub too. We’ll also pay your travel costs to any conference where you can get a speaking gig.
We believe that our products will never be finished. We are committed to continuously improving our customer experience. We constantly reach out to our customers to learn about new ways that we can help them get their job done.
Tell us about what you believe. Please use the form on this page to send in your application now. We only read cover letters in our first screening round, so make sure yours counts. Specifically, we'd like you to address the following topics:
- What is your level of experience with Holacracy? Had you heard about it prior to this posting? Do you have any questions about it?
- What is your level of experience with a remote team?
- What would be your ideal focus areas and roles within the company? (Please understand that our current needs require a frontend engineer with React experience, but we have over 50 named roles that you can also devote some time to, everything from planning our in-person meetings to overseeing Customer Security.)
To apply: Applications are only accepted at the following link: