Headquarters: New York, New York
Software Developers are a key part of Alley Interactive's team. Each developer will be deeply and personally involved in several client projects, and will work collaboratively with other members of the Alley Interactive team and with the client's principals as well.
Our developers need to be well-rounded technologists who have a holistic understanding of the web technology stacks that we work with, but who can also interface with clients in a professional and intelligent way.
We're not looking for rockstars, ninjas, zombies, or pirates. We're looking for smart, creative, resourceful developers who want to work with impressive clients and who take pride in their work.
We recognize several levels of seniority and experience for developers, and tie compensation and responsibility to this. We are looking for all levels of developers for this position.
- WordPress is a key part of our technology landscape, as are React, Node.js, and webpack. You should be experienced with some of them, or ready to learn them and be able to demonstrate your ability to do so.
- Alley Interactive prides itself on its ability to address unusual, novel, and complex problems that deal with the intersection of technology, business, and content production. You should understand and be able to discuss web technologies and systems conceptually, and be able to demonstrate that you can learn a new language, technology stack, or framework quickly and on demand.
- You should feel comfortable at a Unix command line, even if you aren't an expert.
- You must know your way around git and understand version control well, and be able to carry out typical operations with it, including branching, merging, submitting code for peer review, and reviewing your peers’ code yourself.
- We apply Scrum as a development methodology, and broadly endorse Agile as a philosophy. You should be open to working this way as well, and significant experience doing so before is a plus.
- You should also have very strong written and verbal communication skills, and the ability to wield them with both team members and clients.
- Discipline concerning delivery dates, stylistic appreciation of what makes code good and readable, and a positive attitude about documentation, tickets, and issue tracking, are all very important "soft skills" for our developers to have.
Note: Please submit samples of code that you’ve written with your application for this position. Your code samples should represent work that you’re proud of and that you think accurately reflects your abilities and experience. It’s fine if you didn’t write 100% of the code you submit because you were part of a team that worked on it together, or because it includes open source components, but you should be able to discuss with us what your contribution to it was, and explain confidently how it works.
About Alley Interactive
We offer competitive salaries and company subsidized medical, dental and vision benefits. We also offer 401(k) with company matching, a profit sharing plan, and transportation and lunch benefits programs.
We have no set hours and do not limit vacation or sick time (but we require everyone to take a minimum of two weeks off). We trust our team members to get their work done and take the time off they need to recharge.
Alley Interactive was born in New York City, and we have an office in the Flatiron District of Manhattan. Our team members are free to work from the office, or out of their homes or a local coworking space. About a third of our team lives in the New York area, and the rest are spread around 18 other states and provinces (and counting).
Alley Interactive is an equal opportunity employer and we seek to increase diversity in the tech industry. We encourage applications from women, people of color, people with disabilities, members of the LGBTQ community, and other communities traditionally underrepresented in this field.
Recruiters: Please do NOT contact us about this job. All hiring duties at Alley are carried out by our staff.
To apply: Apply on our website at http://jobs.alleyinteractive.com/apply/SAPhQlxMFM/Software-Developer?source=wwr . Please be sure to include samples of code that you've written with your application for this position.